- This event has passed.
Plein Air Painting at Santa Cruz Island with Margaret Garcia
Enjoy a one of a kind day trip to Santa Cruz Island to paint with acclaimed artist Margaret Garcia and naturalist Cliff Rodrigues! We will provide a box lunch from Peirano’s for attendees. All participants should bring their water bottles and art supplies. Participants are welcome to create with oil paints, watercolors, ink, pencils, or take photographs! This event is limited to 30 adult attendees.
$125 for members, $175 for nonmembers.
Weather Cancellation Policy: In case of unfavorable weather or sea conditions, Island Packers will cancel at 5:30 AM on the day of the trip. On the morning of your departure after 5:30 AM, please call 805-642-1393, select option (4), and listen to the status of your trip. Island Packers will not contact you for weather cancellation. If time permits, Island Packers will attempt to email cancellations.
Check-in: Check-in at Ventura Harbor at 8am, 9am is the departure time. Attendees must arrive by 8:15am or risk not being able to attend. All passengers must sign in to receive a boarding pass before getting on the boat. Be ready with an emergency contact phone number when you sign in.
Preparation for your trip:
- Bring food and water for your time ashore. Pack food in closed containers or backpacks to protect it from the animals. (Do not feed them.)
- There are fox box food storage areas for use in the picnic areas. Other belongings may be left near the beach while hiking.
- Dress in comfortable layers of clothing to be prepared for variable weather. Sunscreen and hats are recommended.
- Bring a warm jacket for the boat. Wear low-heeled, rubber-soled shoes with good tread—no high heels.
- Cameras and binoculars are great to bring along.
- Single-use plastic bags are not permitted on the boat or the island.
- Any item weighing more than 45 lbs, including ice chests, will not be transported.
- All containers of solvent must have their name on the container as they will be put in a locker until we arrive, as they are flammable. We recommend that participants carry them in a sealed metal container. The paint itself in tubes are food-grade oil.
Cancellation policy: For reservations of 1-19, you must cancel, change or reduce your passenger count 72 hours before your departure time to receive a refund. Group reservations of 20 or more passengers must be canceled 30 days in advance. Cancellations must be made by calling Island Packers at 805-642-1393.
Safety aboard the vessel: The weather in the Santa Barbara Channel is unpredictable and can be rough. The vessel you will embark on has been Coast Guard inspected and is operated by an experienced captain and crew. If you come properly prepared, you should have an enjoyable trip. Please dress as indicated and bring only the items you need. Even if you are experienced on boats, please hold onto handrails and watch where you step. Island Packers cannot guarantee landing; weather and sea conditions prevent it at times. Docks are at the Scorpion Anchorage pier.
Directions to Ventura Harbor: Island Packers 1691 Spinnaker Drive, Suite 105B Ventura, CA 93001
Made possible in part by the Port of Hueneme